Do you often struggle with storing kitchen towels because you don’t know how to fold kitchen towels? If yes, then you’re in luck. Once you’re done reading this article, you won’t face this issue again.
Folding kitchen towels is an incredibly easy task. The best thing is that there are several ways to do that. One of the easiest ways involves folding the towel into a rectangle and then into thirds.
In this article, you’ll get to know all about how to fold kitchen towels, the benefits of folding towels, is it better to fold or roll kitchen towels, and a lot more. Continue reading to know all the answers.
Fold kitchen towels to keep your kitchen clean
Where and how do you store your kitchen towels? In a kitchen cabinet, in a drawer, in a hutch, or any other creative way? Regardless of where you store the towels, it would be tragic if you don’t know how to organize them. You must know how to fold kitchen towels and organize them as it’ll give your kitchen a clean look. Moreover, it’ll also help you store your kitchen towels properly. To help you fold your kitchen towels properly, there are many methods that you can go for. But before folding your kitchen towels, there are certain factors that you need to consider.
There are multiple ways to fold kitchen towels. Different methods will suit different preferences. There are some factors that you need to keep in mind before you start folding your kitchen towels. Here are some of them –
- Size of the kitchen towel – If your towels are kitchen towels are thick, you shouldn’t go for a method that involves countless folds. Different towel thicknesses will need different treatments. To visualize, think of a clothing store. Cotton shirts aren’t folded the same way that bulkier hoodies are.
- Intended use – If you’re going to use one kitchen towel over and over again as compared to washing your towel after each use, you will want to fold and store your kitchen towels differently. How frequently you use your kitchen towel will play a crucial role in how to fold and care for it.
- Where you’ll fold the towel – The last thing you must consider before folding the kitchen towels is the surface that you’re folding on. As the towels you’re going to fold will likely be clean, make sure that you’re folding on a clean surface. Try to fold at a surface that gets cleaned regularly and doesn’t gather dust.
How to fold kitchen towels and store them?
The best way of folding a kitchen towel will depend upon how you prefer storing or displaying them. Will it go in a cabinet, on a shelf, or on a towel bar, you must use the right method. Try out any of these kitchens towel folding techniques and choose one that best suits your space and style.
The Marie Kondo method
The key to Kondo’s towel storage method is to stand them in a basket, drawer, or organizer, side by side. Do it, and you’ll see each towel at a glance. Moreover, they’ll be less likely to end up in a leaning-tower-of-towels situation. Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to fold and store your kitchen towels in the Marie Kondo way.
- Fold your kitchen towel the long way, such that it is in the shape of a long rectangle.
- Now, fold it into thirds.
- Conduct the stand test for making sure that the kitchen towel can stand on its own.
- Fold the remaining kitchen towels the same way.
- Stand all the neatly folded kitchen towels in a drawer or a basket.
- Repeat this each time you wash the towels and have to fold them.
The Bundle method
This is a fairly simple, fast, and effective way of folding towels that look the way you find on store shelves. This method will result in a bundle look, which is great if you want to impress your guests. They will love that your kitchen towels are stored in a fancy way.
- Lay out your kitchen on a flat surface such that the longest side is stretched out.
- Fold the kitchen towel in half (from right to left), ensuring that the edges stay aligned.
- Fold the towel in half once more the same way.
- Bring the end of the towel closest to you to the center such that it can easily be flipped over. This will result in the towel being folded in thirds.
- You will now get a perfectly folded kitchen towel that looks beautiful once turned sideways.
The Thirds method
This is arguably the easiest method of folding kitchen towels, and you simply cannot go wrong with it. Start by laying out your kitchen towels on a flat surface. Make sure that the longest end has been stretched out from left to right.
- Grab the long end that is closest to you, and then fold it into the center.
- Grab the long end that is farthest from you and then toward it inwards. You’ll have the option of having them line up touching each other or having an overlap.
- Grab the right end of the towel and then fold it over to meet the left end. You would have got a rectangle that is half the length of the towel.
- Fold it once more the same way.
- You have successfully folded your kitchen towel.
The Standing Flop-Roll method
Not every kitchen has enough space to lay out your towels on a surface, and that’s all right. The Standing Flop-Roll method will create a perfectly folded kitchen towel for such people.
- Simply pinch the middle part of the towel on each end such that the longest side is folded in half. The ends should be hanging to the floor.
- Now, bring your hand that is carrying the kitchen towel inwards over to the left side of your body. You can use your chin for holding the towel to your chest such that it doesn’t droop. This helps the corners stay aligned.
- Repeat it for the other side by bringing in the hand carrying the towel across your body. The towel will now be a third of its width.
- Grab the top portion of the towel that is under your chin and start rolling it downwards.
- This will give you the perfect roll. This method will be great if the storage area is wider than taller. You’ll then be able to place the towel rolls side by side.
Wear-Reducing Folding method
You can preserve the fluffy feel of the kitchen towels with a folding method that prevents extra wear. By optimizing the fold for storage, you can minimize potential wear along the crease that is caused by a towel bar.
- Fold the kitchen towel in half lengthwise
- Now, fold it in half widthwise by placing the short ends together.
- Fold in half widthwise one final time to get a wide, flat fold that is easily stackable. If a more compact shape better suits your storage space, fold the kitchen towels in thirds instead of halves.
Classic Folding method
This technique will give you clean edges, making it ideal to create a stack of kitchen towels on an open shelf or a bench.
- Start by spreading your bath towels on a flat surface. Fold the long end towards the middle and then repeat it on the other side.
- Fold each short end towards the middle. Make sure that you’re leaving a gap where the ends meet. It’ll give you ample room for another fold.
- Finally, you should pick up one end and then fold it over the other. This will create a beautifully folded kitchen towel. You can smoothen out the surface and then store them in a stacked display.
Spa-Style Rolling method
For a more luxurious touch, display your kitchen towels in a spa-inspired arrangement. This is a space-saving technique where towels will stay tightly together. This method works great for towels that are stored in open cabinets or baskets.
- Lay out your towel on a flat surface. Fold one of the corners diagonally toward the center such that the short side lines up with the long side. This will create a point at one end.
- Fold it in half lengthwise and then flip it over such that the folded edge is on the bottom.
- Tightly roll the kitchen towel, starting at the short side opposite this point. Once you reach the end, tuck this side into the roll for keeping the towel secure.
Which one is better: Folding or rolling kitchen towels?
There is no clear-cut right or wrong here. You can prefer folding or rolling the kitchen towels as per your personal preference. Moreover, it’ll depend on the kitchen space where you’ll be storing your towels or the aesthetics you want to achieve. In certain situations, kitchen towels will look great rolled and stored upright in a basket. It’ll make the towels visually appealing and accessible. Your choice of folding method will be motivated by circumstances or the look of your kitchen. If you have any guests staying over, you may want to impress them with your towel folding skills. Try folding the kitchen towels like a spa, and you can wow the guests easily.
What are the benefits of folding kitchen towels?
Save time and effort
Neatly folding and storing your kitchen towels will save you time and effort down the road. You won’t have to look around for towels when you’re in desperate need of one.
Folded towels are visually appealing and give the kitchen a clean look
Folded towels look great. Who doesn’t like seeing their kitchen look organized and decorated like a hotel? Folding them properly will be a nice treat to your eyes. Opening up your kitchen cabinets to see a neat and sorted stack of kitchen towels will be a great way of feeling fresh and organized.
Folded kitchen towels will make you feel good
Having a tidily organized kitchen with folded towels will feel like a sanctuary. With the chaos going around in the outside world, you won’t have any chaos inside your kitchen cabinets. A properly-cared-for kitchen down to the perfectly folded kitchen towels will eliminate any distraction. Moreover, it’ll create a calming and peaceful environment.
Impress your guests
With nearly folded and arranged kitchen towels, you’ll be able to impress your guests. Having matching color options being folded beautifully will add a unique dynamism to your kitchen. Moreover, the guests will be impressed by the kitchen decor.
Psychological benefits of folding towels
It is believed that decluttering, tidying, and organizing your kitchen can have mental health benefits. By folding kitchen towels and keeping your kitchen organized, you’ll feel calmer and more productive. Moreover, a study found out that towel folding is very effective as it prompts learning in students with intellectual disabilities.
Thank you for reading. Hopefully, now you know how to fold kitchen towels, why you must know how to fold kitchen towels, the benefits of folding towels, and more. Knowing how to fold kitchen towels is a skill that you must know. Not only will it impress others, but it’ll keep your kitchen clean and organized. Moreover, neatly folded and stored towels will save the day when you’re in need of one. This article would have given you more than enough methods to fold kitchen towels.